The New Saab 9-5 Range: More Style and Performance
Bold looks, a unique powertrain package and an uprated chassis combine to give the new Saab 9-5 range a fresh, more dynamic cutting edge.
The sleeker lines and sportier stance of the distinctive new 2006 9-5 Sedan and SportCombi models reinforce the Scandinavian brand’s premium offer and showcase the introduction of a ‘tri-fuel’, all-turbo engine line-up.
The exterior changes are also echoed by across-the-range interior enhancements to Liner, Arc, Vector and Aero specifications, including new instrumentation and infotainment systems. And the increased driver appeal is underlined by careful re-tuning of the chassis and steering for sportier responses that do not compromise ride quality.
The new Saab 9-5 Sedan and SportCombi range is focused on enhancements across three key dimensions:
• Bold frontal styling and cleaner lines for both Sedan and SportCombi
– All-new bodywork forward of the A-pillar
– New grille with wing motif derived from Saab 9X concept car
– Previews future Saab design direction
• Sportier stance, new light assemblies, color-keyed bumper moldings and trim
– Wider rear track and color-keyed exterior detailing enhances visual appeal
– New projector-style headlamp units and rear light clusters add modernity
• New ‘Black Room’ interior design concept
– Sportier ambience with all-black door cappings, front fascia and carpeting
– Contrasting door inserts and trim
• Enhanced, color co-ordinated interior décor
– Matching look for main instrument panel and door trims
– New black, burled wood-effect and metallic finishes for Linear, Arc, Vector, Aero
– New main instrument dials, sports steering wheels and infotainment control panels
• ‘Tri-Fuel’ engine line-up unique to segment
– All-turbo choice of diesel, ethanol or gasoline power
• New 150 bhp/110 kW 1.9TiD
– Euro 4 compliant, delivers impressive performance and economy
– Advanced common-rail/ multiple/ direct injection. VNT turbo
– Superb pulling power, 320 Nm max. torque exceeded only by Aero engine
– Choice of five-speed manual or automatic transmissions
– Maintenance-free exhaust particulate filter
• Unique 2.0t BioPower engine
– Saab leads premium segment in leveraging ‘carbon-neutral’, renewable energy
– Ethanol fuel combines ‘going green’ with sportier performance
– 180 bhp/132 kW BioPower engine delivers 30 bhp power increase v. gasoline
– Automatically adjusts for ethanol (E85) or gasoline in any proportions
• Uprated Aero engine leads gasoline choice
– 2.3 Turbo engine exclusive to Aero flagship now delivers 260 bhp/191 kW
– Superboost function raises strong torque still higher, to 370 Nm
– 150, 185, 220 bhp (110, 136, 162 kW) gasoline turbo engines complete
• More responsive vehicle dynamics for sportier driving experience
– Retuned dampers, springs and anti-roll bars deliver sharper handling
– Improved body control and steering precision
– Excellent ride quality maintained
– Uprated sports chassis for Aero
• Class-leading safety levels
– Top ratings for 9-5 models in Swedish and US accident injury studies
– Comprehensive safety equipment including Saab Active Head Restraints (SAHR)
– Stability control program, ESP® fitted as standard for all variants
– Saab ComSense dynamic workload management helps prevent driver distraction
The new Saab 9-5 Sedan and SportCombi range is designed to reinforce the brand’s core appeal among discerning customers who seek a distinctive product in keeping with their own, more self-expressive values. Typically, such customers are independent-minded professionals who prioritize good aesthetic and original design that offers strong styling, performance and safety. With an average annual household income exceeding 100,000 Euros, market research shows that the proportion of Saab 9-5 owners with a university education far exceeds the average for the segment.
The Saab 9-5 series has already established a strong, worldwide following and Saab expects the new range to attract more new customers to the brand. The top-of-the-line Aero and Vector variants are expected to account for about 40 per cent of global sales. And in Europe, the range’s attractive new diesel offer is likely to take about 50 per cent of sales. In Sweden, which has already established a supply infrastructure for E85 fuel, 45 per cent of all 9-5 customers are expected to opt for the performance and ecological benefits of the innovative 2.0t BioPower engine.
Revealing the new Saab 9-5 Sedan and SportCombi range at this year’s Frankfurt Motor Show, Saab Automobile managing director Jan-Åke Jonsson said: "We are delighted to open a new chapter in the continuing success story of our premium model range. The bold styling and technical innovations underline our brand’s appeal in offering sporty yet surprisingly practical products. The introduction of the BioPower engine, which improves both driving and environmental performance, is typical of what customers have come to expect from Saab."