I’m meant to be focused solely on blog maintenance, but I couldn’t resist this…..
A recent poll conducted by CommanderBond.net asked 007 fans, “Which car from the James Bond novels is your favorite?” From a selection that included an Aston Martin DBIII, a Jaguar XK8, a Porsche Gambella, and four different Bentleys, the surprise winner was a fuel-efficient, mid-priced, Swedish-made “everyday” car, the Saab 900 Turbo.
I’d heard of James Bond driving a Saab in several novels, but didn’t really know anything about it. Thankfully, a website seemingly devoted to all things Bond has decided to do a write-up on it. The 900 Turbo was referred to as “The Silver Beast” and was kitted out in typical Bond fashion, though notably not by Q Branch as is usually the case in the movies. Apparently this was Bond’s personal car and he contracted an outside firm to customise it.
So which refinements did 007 feel was necessary in the field?
* Water-cooled turbo engine modification….producing a top speed in excess of 170 MPH.
* Modified fuel system capable of running on gasoline or gasohol.
* Halon 12 fire extinguishing system and fire-proofing.
* Digital heads-up instrument display.
* Remote text-messaging system via black box phone hook up to landline.
* Mobile phone.
* Four external tear gas ducts.
* Filter to stop deadly gas from entering the car’s passenger cabin.
* Oxygen masks under the seats in CO2-operated compartment.
* Several hidden compartments in dashboard containing:
-TH70 Nitefinder goggles (for driving without headlights),
-one unauthorized Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum revolver,
-and one Browning automatic handgun.
* Fully armor-plated body.
* Bulletproof glass.
* Steel-reinforced ramming bumpers back and front.
* Heavy-duty Dunlop Denovos tires self-sealing even after being hit by bullets.
* Side gunport.
* Remote starter kit.
* Rotating license plates.
* Two Halogen fog lamps.
* Aircraft headlight hidden behind front license plate.
Go read the full article at Commanderbond.net. It’s a must for Bond-lovers and Saab-lovers alike.