UPDATED: commenter suggestions added….
UPDATED II: More suggestions added, with safety, blondes, turbos and mooses being popular. I really like the idea of tying in the rallying heritage. Turbo pioneering too.
A brief note about the use of owners and their thoughts – next year is Saab’s 60th anniversary and suggestions have been made and well received (to an extent) about making videos of this type of thing. This sprang up when I featured Mark’s 900 turbo Saab story on video a few months ago. The maintainyouridentity.com website is no longer functioning.
ADDITION: TAD’s recent buying experience is a very relevant case in point:
We came up with a short list of a Volvo V-50, a VW Passat wagon, and the Saab. When we drove all three, the choice was very easy.
You’re right that Saab has a lot to offer for the U.S. market, but they’re off the radar screen for most buyers. GM really needs to find a way to get the word out. Lose “Born from Jets” and come up with ads that focus on the meaningful aspects of the current Saabs. Show consumers what’s available in the Saab range and emphasize their performance, safety, and economy.
Saab USA need to sell more cars and perhaps Born From Jets ain’t going to cut it long term. So let’s help ’em out with some grassroots suggestions from their actual audience.
Your ad (or product) suggestions in short form are welcome in comments and I’ll transfer them here to the front page as time permits……
1. Use parts of that new Saab Performance Team clip
2. Retain jet imagery but have more facts about the car and less selling of the heritage
3. More “Move Your Mind” thought given to the ads. Focus on points of difference.
4. Use of “Hate to Say I Told You So” by The Hives as 9-3 Aero overtakes Bimmer, Audi, Lexus….
5. Yes, use cool Swedish music. Lots of it.
6. Start a clip with Abba, then needle-slip noise/interference, then cool Swedish guitar riff as car takes off
7. Use amazing photography
8. Aero-X cameo appearances
9. MATT suggests a Sienfeldesque “I can never give up style and taste”
10. MATS: The safest car in Sweden…..isn’t a Volvo
11. MICHAEL: emphasise difference between Saab, Audi, Volvo (too homogenous)
12. 9x: Wow ’em with good imagery a-la Aero-X unveiling
13. LOGAN: ‘choose your identity’ – emphasis on points of difference
14. TED: Rally imagery and tie in turbo with sporting heritage (love this idea)
15. ADAM: Aim more at Subaru and Honda rather than BMW and Audi
16. EGGS: Some funny stuff a-la the Veeee Dub in the da house ads
17. EGGS: Some head-to-head comparos with competition
18. PSYDAVE: Like Mats, safety comparo with Volvo, using this ad.
19. SG: customer testimonials, safety, fuel efficiency
20. IVAN: Biopower – environmentally friendly without compromising performance
21. SAABKEN: Swedish blondes (female). Lots of them ……
22. TAD: Emphasize safety and individuality…and the crash test moose
23. JMcK: Echoes thoughts on customer testimonials
24. FRED: FWD history, the beauty of turbos
Not ad related, but J-McK suggests that a greater dealership presence is perhaps more critical at this point than alternative ads. True enough.
I’ll keep this based on ads though. As mentioned, I think there needs to be more meat on the bones here. Born From Jets has emphasised a heritage, but I’m not sure it’s really made people aware of Saab’s capabilities.
Great ideas so far. Keep ’em coming….