The fact that the 9-5 gets overlooked, even ignored, in the North American market has been a complaint for some time now.
There’s some circumstances where that’s exactly how you want it, however.
Brian M has emailed me a story from O-Canada listing the cars to avoid if you want to make sure the time you spend reporting it stolen to the police is kept to a minimum.
I guess many of these types are featured in “The Fast and the Furious” not only for reasons pertaining to NOS. I’d be furious too if it kept getting pinched!
The Top Ten Stolen Vehicles are:
1. 2000 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
2. 1999 Honda Civic SiR 2-door
3. 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STi 4-door AWD
4. 1999 Acura Integra 2-door
5. 1994 Honda Civic Si 2-door Hatchback
6. 1998 Acura Integra 2-door
7. 1993 Dodge Shadow Convertible
8. 1996 Honda Civic Si 2-door Hatchback
9. 2000 Audi TT Quattro 2-door Coupe
10. 1996 Chev/GMC Blazer/Jimmy S Series 2-door 4WD
In contrast, your Saab 9-5 is safer than Hillary Clinton’s undies (I’ll bet Bill hasn’t broken into them for a while!!)
The Least Stolen Vehicles were:
(tie) 2000 Saab 9-5 4-door
1. (tie) 2002 Volvo S60 4-door AWD
1. (tie) 2002 Pontiac Bonneville 4-door
1. (tie) 1998 Lincoln Continental 4-door
1. (tie) 2001 Ford/Mercury Taurus/Sable Wagon
1. (tie) 2001 Pontiac Bonneville 4-door
1. (tie) 2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette
1. (tie) 1997 Saturn SW1 Wagon
9. 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4-door
10. (tie) 2000 Lincoln Continental 4-door
(tie) 2005 Saturn Ion 4-door Sedan
(tie) 1996 Buick Le Sabre 4-door
The first eight models shared the lowest frequency of theft claims, the vehicle in 9th spot, had the second lowest, and the last three tied for the third lowest frequency.
Safety has many different incarnations.
Just knowing your 9-5 will still be there in the morning must be a nice feeling.