Richo sent me this picture – two Germs and a Swede – asking me which car looked better. Rhetorically, of course. That’s Richo’s Viggen in the front.
Click to enlarge
But looking at the photo, a few things came to mind:
a) How very contemporary the Vigegn still looks. It doens’t look out of place here at all.
b) How good the hatch shape can look given the right stance and kit. BRING BACK THE HATCH!!
c) How much Saab really need to keep that high performance model in it’s lineup. The 9-3 and 9-5 shapes are both good starting points, but there always need to be that high-spec halo model there in my opinion.
Here’s Richo’s notes about the photo, there’s more to all this than just opportunistic parking.
I drove the new 320i on the weekend….
A few things that struck me:
1. The cup holders (hahahahah) are both over on the passenger side, one kind of reaches over on a strange angle.
2. The window controls are so far forward on the door (moved from the centre console) that you actually have to lean forward to use them
3. When I was looking over my shoulder while pulling out I bashed my head on the door frame so I had to actually crane my neck in oder to get a decent look at oncoming traffic to safely pull out
4. The steering was a little weird. Usually when you take a corner the wheel kind of straightens itself but with the BMW I felt myself having to bring it back out of the turn. It meant more effort while driving and a less relaxing
5. The indicators are REALLY painful. They have this electronic half-on, full-on mode. So when you’re changing lanes and you just want to give 2 or 3 flicks I found the bloody thing would stay on and when I tried to flick it off I’d end up indicating the other way!!!
6. Try getting a CD to play… I was trying for 5 km and still couldn’t work it out. I gave up.
7. Road noise wasn’t as quiet as I had anticipated it would be.
8. I missed the kick of the Viggen
9. Seats are a weird shape, you feel bum heavy and the head rests feel like they’re going to make you head-butt the windscreen
All in all I think the previous version is more comfortable and nicer to drive