US sales data is in and it’s pancake time.
I knew it wasn’t going to be a ‘good’ day when I got up this morning and my Automotive News daily email mentioned the following:
For U.S. automakers, July was the darkest month in the 102-year history of the automobile business in the United States. For the first time, foreign manufacturers controlled the market. The import-badged cars and trucks captured 51.9 percent of the market, leaving only 48.1 percent for the domestic brands of General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and the Chrysler group.
So, down to Saab sales. Saab sold a total of 3,247 vehicles in the US market in July 2007, which was a 7.5% fall from the 3,658 vehicles sold in the same month last year. Total sales for 2007 sit at 20,250, which is a 5.1% fall from the 21,349 vehicles sold from Jan-Jul in 2006.
The model breakdown is as follows:
Saab 9-2x: There were no 9-2x’s sold this month. Are they all gone?
Saab 9-3: There were 2,209 units of the Saab 9-3 sold, a 9.7% fall from 2006. Year-to-date sales of the 9-3 range amount to 14,127, which is 3.5% off last years total YTD.
Saab 9-5: Woohoo!! There were 480 units of the Saab 9-5 sold during July, which was an 18.5% rise over the same month last year. Year-to-date, the 9-5 is actually improving, having sold 2,746 this year vs 2,608 last year (+5.3%). Go you good thing!
Saab 9-7x: The 9-7x also recorded a rise for the month selling 558 units in July against 513 in the same month last year. That’s a 13.3% increase, though the SUV is down 4.7% for the year so far (3,249 vs 3,421 last year).
So, a rise on the smaller sellers but a fall in the volume model.