Best of the Road is an event being run by cartographers Rand McNally with the help of their official media partner, the newspaper USA Today.
The event involves five teams driving various Saab vehicles to 30 destinations around the US. The destinations are broken into five categories, with 6 cities in each category, as follows:
- Most Beautiful – Baker City OR, Coral Gables FL, Franklin TN, Marco Island FL, Pacifica CA, Sandpoint ID
- Most Patriotic – Clarksville TN, Emporia KS, Fort Leonard Wood MO, Peachtree City GA, Rapid City SD, Williamsburg VA
- Most Fun – Glenwood Springs CO, Myrtle Beach SC, Santa Claus IN, Sioux City IA, Vacaville CA, Yellow Springs OH
- Friendliest – Lake Havasu AZ, Mount Airy NC, Nacogdoches TX, Valdosta GA, Walla Walla WA, Woodward OK
- Best for Food – Addison WV, Burnsville MN, Costa Mesa CA, Gulfport FL, Lafayette LA, Visalia CA
So what’s this all about? From the Best of the Road website:
What is the Best of the Road® 2011 Rally?
A. This summer, five teams of travelers will help us find the very best small towns in America in the Best of the Road® Rally. A panel of travel experts from Rand McNally and USA TODAY will select the top 5 small towns in each category – then the Road Rally begins!
Road Rally teams will leave New York City on June 23rd and visit each of the small town finalists. Each team will cover one of the five categories. At each town, the rally teams will dig deep and leave no stone unturned as they work to determine which small town is the best of their category.
When the rally teams arrive in Los Angeles, CA on July 15 they will announce which towns are really the best small towns in America.
The panel of travel experts from Rand McNally and USA TODAY will then determine which Road Rally team will win first place and the grand prize of $10,000.
You’ll be able to support your favourite team by following their adventures on Facebook, their own websites, and on Twitter.
- Captain and Clark (exploring the “Most Patriotic”) – website – Twitter
- Gone with the Wynns (exploring the “Friendliest”) – website – Twitter
- McNavigators (exploring the “Most Beautiful”) – website – Twitter
- The Fun Finders (exploring the “Best for Food”)- website – Twitter
- TravelingJules and TravelingJoan (exploring the “Most Fun”) – website – Twitter
We’ll be following the competitors and the adventures of the Saab range, too, as they carry the contestants around the United States on this adventure.
There are five teams, and of course there will be five Saabs involved in the adventures.
- 1 x Saab 9-4x SUV
- 2 x Saab 9-5 sedans
- 1 x Saab 9-3 SportSedan
- 1 x Saab 93 SportCombi
If they’re coming to your town, it’d be great to get and out, show them your support and let them know just how blessed they are to be doing this trip in a Saab. Maybe see if you can get photo of them and send it in.