We’re thinking about it…..
Coast to coast. From sea to shining sea. All that stuff.
One of the tricks will be choosing the right car. I’m open to renting if the right car is available, but I’m also thinking of foregoing the rental route and purchasing a car to use, then re-sell when we’re done. The logistics will be tricky, I know, but it opens up the choices quite a lot.
So what would you choose?
You’ve got to get from the north-east down to Cali and then maybe all the way up the left coast. Part of me wants to do it in a black screaming chicken a-la Smokey and the Bandit but reliability and efficiency have got to count for something.
It needs to be:
- Reasonably efficient (but I’ll still take a V8)
- Comfortable for long sessions behind the wheel
- Big enough to take at least 1 full suitcase, but not necessarily huge
- Able to be fixed at a large number of locations if something goes wrong
- Reasonably simple to acquire and then sell
- Something you’re happy to have as part of your memories as integral to the trip
I asked Mrs Swade the question this morning and I liked her answer – Ford Mustang. One of the older ones would be romantic, but one of the newer series would be much more suitable. It’s also the most iconic American vehicle according to our poll.